Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Those Brogues



Brogues...
Winkle-poppers...
Dandy man shoes...
Derbies...
Richelieus...


They go by many names but the unmistakeable cool factor remains the same.
Whatever you call them, there's nothing more chic than teaming a pair of brogues with an outfit to give it that 'borrowed from the boys...but I can wear it infinitely better than you' edge.

Note: Many items fall into this category I've noticed...namely...the oversized tuxedo shirt, suspenders, cuffed shorts, trousers, grandpa cardigans, oversized Rolexes, cologne...I could go on and on (But do feel free to add to the list of power)

There is a factor of overwhelming sexiness and empowerment about making a masculine item yours.
Which is one of the many reasons why I fell in love with these brogues from the moment I saw them.

On the one hand, they remind me of my beloved classic patent black Repettos purchased in Paris (like the ones Serge Gainsbourg wore except not quite in the pimp white colour) but with cut out panels that just made me flip over and gasp in that oh-so-familiar mix of envy and awe. It's like tradition but twisted on its head and given that extra little bit of sexiness.

Of course like all amazing things they were purchased in some random little store that has since faded from memory...

But it inspires me to make a whole new look: 'Borrowed from an edgy boy'

Love

xo

Bec

1 comment: