Friday, July 30, 2010

Spin The Bottle



Sometimes I wish I was old enough to fully grasp how cool the early nineties were.

Johnny D hadn't settled with Vanessa P in France and was still wrecking hotel rooms.
Winona had cropped hair and was the very essence of pale, alterna-chic cool.
Kate Moss wasn't designing stuff for Topshop and was instead embodying drug-addled beauty.

Alternative was actually what it was and not some kids with emo hair singing about cutting themselves.
Worse yet, Miley Cyrus grabbing an electric guitar and purporting to connect with her tortured 'artiste' side while grinding on a pole
(For the record - I have nothing against pole dancers, in fact, I'd totally take up pole dancing as an alternative to yoga should anyone want to join me...Anyone? I'd also like a pair of pole dancer shoes. Trust me, they look pretty damn amazing and are apparently more comfortable than their perilous heights would seem to suggest)


But we can all appreciate the highlights of a bygone era. And then up our faux-cool factor by sprouting out words like 'Dope' and 'Whack'. Screw a healthy tan. It's all about embracing our winter-induced pale-skinned introvert. Be bitter. There's nothing like sprouting a bit of Reality Bites and My So Called Life angst every now and again. And muse about that one-sided romance in days gone past. Five minutes in a closet with you...

It makes me want to reinstate 'Spin The Bottle' as a party game all over again.

In hopes that it may alleviate my life from the following line:
'Love is when you look into someone's eyes and suddenly you go all the way inside, to their soul, and you both know instantly. I always imagined I'd fall in love nursing a blind soldier who was wounded in battle. Or maybe while rescuing someone in the middle of a blizzard, seconds before the avalanche hits. I thought at least by the age of 15 I'd have a love life, but I don't even have a like life'

Mmhmm.

Like - Love - You know what I mean.

xx

Bec

No comments:

Post a Comment